Monday, December 22, 2014

Alpha Bakers - Almond Coffee Crisps

Happy Chanukah. One little Tomie DePaola board book behind the library reference desk, one hundred confused middle schoolers: "Ms. Katya, I thought it was 'HAN-u-kah', not 'CHA-nu-kah." Many lessons in proper Hebrew pronunciation handed out for free. Although one sullen child informed me that 'no one cares about candles' (let's see how happy she is when her next birthday cake is dark), I have reliable intelligence that frying things and lighting little lights is still more or less popular (although I'm definitely not eating cold leftover latkes while writing this post).
Not to say that there isn't still confusion in some quarters. No, seriously, I love this guy. He's so earnest.

The most recent batch of Rose cookies are actually throwbacks, made on a lazy Sunday afternoon over a month ago, one of the first recipes that I actually made from the book after it came in the mail. Like most Rose cookies, they're a paragon of share-able, slightly surprising, cookie-plate appropriate bits.
Some of the Alpha Bakers had issues with this recipe, but it was uneventful for me, at least in memory. A quick food processor dough with almonds and butter, a brief refrigeration, and a quick bake. Success in this case was largely a matter of not getting in the way of the cookie. And it was a good return on a fairly low investment--the last minute brush with espresso upped the game, and I will definitely be making these again. And if that baby from the last post looked a little excited that cookies were being made, blame this batch. She really, really...really liked them.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm, cold leftover latkes sound good. Nice post and your cookies look good.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I would eat a cold latke anyday. Just saying. So your cookies look wonderful. I think I processed my dough too long in the food processor, but they were fantastic. Hope you can stop by and see my delectable flat crisps.

Patricia @ ButterYum
http://www.butteryum.org/roses-alpha-bakers/2014/11/6/tbb-almond-coffee-crisps

Michele at The Artful Oven said...

Your cookies look puffier than mine! Mine were more like Florentines. Still good, though. Stop by for my "conversation" with Rose. Michele at www.artfuloven.com

Unknown said...

I love your "success is not getting in the way of the cookies." Sounds very zen. Hebrew zen.

Vicki said...

Wish I had some cold latkes hanging around! We go through a foggy season where I live every year; not beautiful ocean fog but fog that makes me want to howl at the moon. Candles are the only thing that keeps my kids and I from going crazy.

faithy said...

How did i miss all your posts? Did you change to another website? These cookies look perfect!

faithy said...

Sorry..what am i talking about..?! LOL! Must be too early in the morning and I am still sleeping! Duh! I remembered your Ischler post! Not sure how i missed your Coffee Crisp post though.